Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Blue Skies

I woke up this morning singing Blue Skies. I gotta say, that's a pretty wonderful way to start the day. I feel light as a feather, optimistic about the future, loving life.

Sometimes being true to yourself can hurt other people. That really sucks. No doubt about it. I don't enjoy hurting folks, I don't get off on upsetting them, I don't aim to piss people off. But it happens sometimes and as long as your actions weren't tainted with malice, as long as you are honest and true to yourself and coming from an honorable place of stating facts, well, you just cannot control how other folks feel or react. I laid my head down last night with a clear conscious and with the weight of the truth off my shoulders for the first time in a long time and, well, let's just say I slept great.

I met with a wonderful couple last night who are going to have their second daughter any day. I love being invited into peoples homes, into their lives. Last night I was offered a glass of wine, several opportunities to laugh (I tell you, sometimes the quiet ones are the funniest,) and left feeling warm and hopeful for their upcoming birth. My gig brings me into the homes of folks of all different social and economic classes and folks of all different ages. While it can be a little intimidating sometimes (after all, I'm just a college drop out living (for the most part) paycheck to paycheck and I often find myself in homes of folks in the upper 6 figure incomes,) I have always been welcomed with open hearts, arms, and minds. What this proves to me is that class and economic lines really mean nothing and people are just people, no matter where you are or what you do. If you are good at what you do and you offer your very best, well, it's all an even playing field. Coming from a background of very limited means (now, don't get me wrong - we always had everything that we needed, but often times not what we wanted,) this is an amazing opportunity for re-writing my opinions of self worth and it's association with status. I've been re-writing it for a few years now and I have to say my opinions are a far cry from where I started out. In fact, those dividing lines have all but completely disappeared. Viva La Progress!

(VJ, let's hit one of those cocktail parties when you're home, shall we? Just don't wear the black suit - I cannot handle it! Oh Oh, but shout out to you for your top secret activity today!! :-) )

DDFF has been working through some issues in our profession as of late. That sister is between a rock and a hard place and I'm not envious of her. But, with the grace that is her style, she and her partners in the situation have found a good middle ground. I have nothing but lovely and hopeful thoughts for you DDFF, and you know I got your back, baby.

I have an all night date scheduled for this weekend. Provided that I'm not at a birth (crossing fingers,) I think I'm going to take B out for dinner and then either bowling or to shoot some pool. Simple, active, warm. I'm looking forward to it. We could use some time.

I love my kids. LOVE them. Guess I've said that before, eh? I just look at them and marvel at how brilliant they are, how loving and caring and conscious. I know I can take them anywhere and they'll be fine. I know that I can trust them to have a conversation with an adult. I trust them completely to take the lead in their education (at this point) and they have led me further than I would have ever dared to go. They're amazing, these little sponges. Stealth has all but learned how to read. Because of the way we practice spelling with Duck (spelling words and whole sentences out loud, etc.,) Stealth has learned to not only recognize words by sight, but also by hearing the letters. Yesterday, I spelled "Duck, do you want to make some cookies?" and Stealth started screaming "COOKIES, Mama, I want to make some COOKIES!" I think he can read much more than he's letting on. What a booger! I'm in so much trouble.

I'm taking a little break from my Kohleidoscope orders to make a few things for myself. It feels good, I gotta say. And not a moment too soon - it was 32 degrees here last night. BRRRRR.

Jill continues to send postcards and I love it. SO do the boys. Yesterday we were watching a video on the animals of the African Plains and the boys asked if Jill made the video. So funny. Anyway, Jill, Duck and Stealth expect you to bring a monkey AND a hippo with you when you come to visit - so plan your carry on luggage carefully.

Occasionally I find a new little product that I just love. The Swiffer Sweep + Vac sincerely rocks. With hard wood floor, two little boys, and endless amounts of wool and mohair floating around, this thing has become a little life saver for me. Now, I haven't had it long enough to report on the parts that suck (surely there must be one or two,) but for now, she is my new queen. Gotta say, however, that every time I use it, I think of Mark. I'm sure he would be so pleased - he must like that about as much as he likes Karaoke. ;-) And it reminds me that I gotta make him a black skull cap. Crap, I suck - I mentioned that 4 months ago. Sorry, dude. I'll get right on it -as soon as my floors are clean.

I swear, I go to the freaking store 4 times a week. RIDICULOUS. I gotta plan better. And I have to write better - I'm hoping for a deep post tomorrow - or at least something worth reading.

I suppose I should get off this computer and go about living. Come on, Willie, you and Trigger have plans for the day.

Nothing but Blue Skies do I see ...

2 comments:

velma said...

Swiffer PLUS vac?!?! Let me know how that goes. I sure know our place would benefit from such a device with all the mohair, wool, stray threads and concrete dust flying around!

Cocktail party? Yes! Black Suit? It stays here. No need to worry about that. The secret activity went well. I'll here something next week. Either way, I'm ok with it.

You can give the skull cap to him in person. I'm dragging him to MO for a week this Christmas!

And I am SOOO proud of you for getting a good night's sleep!

Lots of love!

espd said...

Do you still think of me every time you Swiffer? That's so...sweet?