Sunday, May 06, 2007

Warm Fuzzy


I took the boys to the library and we got a bunch of books.  I was very happy to see that one of my favorite people was working circulation, so we went to her line and she checked us out.  Now, I don't know this person, I only know her name is Jessica because she wears a name tag, and the only time we see each other is when she's checking us out at the library, but we always chit chat while I'm there and she always talks to the boys.  Since I worked at the library for a billion and twelve years and many of my coworkers still work there, most everyone knows who I am, but it's not like I'm friends with the staff , either.    If I had to guess, I'd say Jessica is maybe 23?  24?  Single, hip, fresh, great outlook on life - much like I was once upon a time. 

So yesterday she says to me, "You know, you're a pretty hip Mom.  I've been watching you with the boys and I see you in here by yourself and you're just so cool, so comfortable, so down to Earth.   You don't really get caught up in all the insignificant bullshit that lots of folks do.  You are the kind of Mom I want to be."

It made me think if the days before I had kids when I'd see folks out there being very cool with their children, very earth friendly, respectful, down to earth, hip, relaxed families.  Families who go camping and fishing and build fire pits in their backyards and run around naked in the summer rain and who teach to tread lightly on our Earth and be generous of time, money, and spirit.  Families who found the fun in life and understood that sometimes mulberries right from the tree is a good enough dinner and sometimes you just have to teach your kids " Friend of the Devil" so they can dance like crazy with you when those first few guitar strings are plucked.  I used to look at those families and say, "WOW, that's the kind of Mom I want to be, that's the kind of family I want to have."

And you know what?  That's the kind of family that Jessica wants to have, too, so if she sees that in me, well, then, I guess I'm doing an alright job.

No comments: