Thursday, April 06, 2006

Spring has sprung ...

I'm working really hard on being Zen.  It's incredibly life enriching, when I manage to do it well.  One of the things that I'm getting good at is being in the moment, taking a second to notice what I'm seeing, hearing, thinking feeling.  I think we all miss out on 90% of life's experiences because we're somewhere other than we actually are, you dig?
 
So yesterday, I was outside with my boys.  We have this huge mulberry tree in the backyard and B has started carving out part of this huge horizontal branch to make a bench.  He stopped about half way done, about a year or more ago.  But he stopped it in the most delicious spot because this tree has now become a stationary hammock of sorts for me.  I can lay perfectly on it, feet propped up, head nicely cradled by the tree bark, and I can just drift away.  With Erzulie serenading me (yesterday was JJ In Between Dreams and a little Ani DiFranco,) I allowed myself just a few minutes of "this is where I am, I don't need to be anywhere else, doing anything else.  This is where I am."  It was glorious.  I saw 3 pregnant mama robins, noticed the first hints of leaf buds on the catalpa tree, and if I paid really close attention, I could smell the magnolia tree drifting back from the front yard.  I would not have noticed any of those things last year.  I missed it all, being caught up in my brain, not at all in my reality.
 
Spring is a time for rebirth and renewal, hope and harmony, peace and purpose.  The Earth starts again - this year, I'm ready.  This year, I'm a part of it.  This year, I'm Zen.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I heard a sports writer say that Michael Jordan was the most 'in the moment' person he knew. Michael is always just in the moment, very present.

Someone asked him what he thought about on the free-throw line, do you think about missing the shot, or making the shot? and his response was 'Why would I think about either making or missing a shot I haven't even taken yet?' How much more in the moment can a person be?