Friday, January 06, 2006

Kudos for Cork

My friend, Jill, lives in Cork, Ireland. She is minutes away from the ocean at any given point and routinely walks past castles and The Blarney Stone and has made great use of the Irish Pubs and such. Sounds great, eh?

Well, not so much. Cork is filled with hundreds, if not thousands, of stray animals. Folks there do not spay or neuter their dogs. There is no leash law. Animals wander around begging and tearing up the place because folks don't take care of them. Some caring folks are trying to aid the situation, but not enough.

Cork is filled with Knackers that cause life to be a living hell. Just look it up. (yeah, J&(J)H, I said Knackers. Knackers, knackers, knackers, knackers, knackers!!!)

And, of course, it's Ireland. Irish Catholic. Lots of kids, little personal freedom, and don't even get me started on Feminism.

BUT, Cork does have a few things that I adore and I'd have never known had Jill and Hannes not come to visit.

What you see above is quite possibly the best tea I have ever had and some amazing yarn from one of Cork's local yarn producers. My lovely ex-pat friend and her Dutch dude brought me the yummy tea (seriously folks, it has peppermint, black tea, cinnamon, cardamom, star anise, and cloves,) and 10, count 'em, 10 skeins of this 70% acrylic 30% wool yarn.

YUM.

So, hats off to Cork.

I cannot wait to see what Botswana holds. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

niiice!!

NZ too...i can't wait to shower my friends with gifts from the southern hemisphere.

lots of sheep down there ya know!

xo

btw, your NYE sounded like a wonderful memorable night!