Friday, December 30, 2005

House of Blues



Music has always been an essential part of my life.  It's always around me.  It's about as important to me as air, sex, food, family, and friends.  As a result, I made a decision the minute the stick showed two lines with Duck that my children would live a  life of music.  I wouldn't force it on the, for there is no more certain way to make them loathe it.  But I would surround them with music, give them opportunities to try their hands at it.  Music would not just be that thing that you hear when you're on hold - music would be a way of life.
 
And, fortunately for me, my kids have jumped into music with both feet.  They love to listen to it, to try to figure out what they are hearing, pick out each instrument.  They love learning about famous musicians (Duck went about 6 months of obsessing over Stevie Wonder,) they love learning about the different types of music.  They love it.  And now they are wanting to learn to play instruments.  Awesome.
 
They take Kindermusik classes and love them.  Stealth loves to hear the music and is learning about different instruments.  He has resonator bars, jingle bells, and a shaker from his classes and he brings them out all the time.  This coming semester, I believe he gets a drum.  Duck has the resonator bars and a Glockenspiel.  He's learning to read music.  At  5 years old, he can identify A, C, and F on a musical staff.  He can repeat rhythms and create rhythms and write them out.  So cool.
 
For Christmas, we requested a lot of musical instruments.  I'm not one of those Mom's who refuse to buy my kids noisy toys - bring it on!  I love hearing them trying to compose their own symphony.  Anyway, the boys were gifted with many wonderful things and I believe we have enough to start a band.  They have a tambourine, symbols, a keyboard, a mixer (like DJ's use at clubs - it's a riot,) a recorder (the flute type things we all played in 2nd grade,) an accordion (yes, you read that right,) and a harmonica, in addition to the instruments listed earlier.
 
So, if you're looking for some good tunes, come on by Mamakohl's House of Blues.  I'm sure it'll be an experience you'll never forget!
 
 

No comments: