Sunday, November 20, 2005

WHOA!



Occasionally, things happen that rock your world, and one of those things happened yesterday.  I'm not going to get into the details yet - I'm still kind of trying to pinch myself.
 
Little background - in our state, no one does breech (bottom first) vaginal births.  Breech =  cesarean.  Of course, there are options for flipping the baby and then being induced, but the success rate of that is really sketchy and often ends up in surgery, anyhow.  Breech risks someone out of a home birth.  It's just not done here.  In other parts of the world, and even in our own country, breech births are done successfully all the time.  Not here.  Not in a long long time.
 
Yesterday, I helped out with a home water birth.  Of a breech baby.  Yep.  No one knew that the baby was breech.  The way it was presenting it seemed vertex, even during an examination.  As the baby started "crowning," the student midwife said to me and the doctor, "Um, this is a butt."
 
WHOA!!
 
Again, no details, but baby girl is doing GREAT, mom is doing GREAT, and the doctor, student midwife, and myself shared the experience of our first, and possibly only, vaginal breech birth at home.
 
Birth works!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!!!
I would love to hear the whole story sometime.
What a birth/baby girl that you will never forget!
xo,
Sandie