Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Tie Dyed Tuesday

What can I say? The tide is turning. We're pissed, we're speaking out, and we're being heard.

Yesterday was election day all over the country and one thing has become pretty darn clear with the light of day - we're not going to take it anymore.

In New Jersey, a Democrat defeated a Republican for the office of Governor. He won by a 10 point margin. In California, all four propositions backed by Republican Governor "It's not a tumor" failed. In Virginia, Tim Kaine is the new Democratic Lieutenant Governor, winning the office even after The Monkey made a last minute campaign visit to support the Republican candidate. Not surprising, actually. I would think that a campaign visit and vote of support by George W. would be the kiss of death - I mean, good night, he has less than a 40% approval rate himself!

In my own state, public outrage over government officials is rampant. Sincerely. I live in a very liberal, free spirited, college town. It's very artsy, progressive, alive - which, of course, is why I've decided to make it my home. We all have something to say and most of us say it with bumper stickers. I cannot tell you how many cars I see driving around with stickers saying things like, "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for him the first time, either." "Somewhere in Texas a village is missing it's idiot." And, in regards to state matters, "Blunt Trauma," has got to be one of my favorites.

Let's see, what has the republican party done for us in the last few years? I could list the favors (like millions of people losing health care coverage, like funding for research for devastating diseases like Parkinson's disease being cut, like a drop in education funds, the rich getting richer, the poor getting poorer, and the unfortunate ones to not live in a white house with a picket fence, well, screw them because "they live in a place where no decent person would ever want to live," ) but it would only cause an incredibly lengthy post and sore fingers for myself.

I have a few friends who either are card carrying Republicans or who have voted Republican in the past (yes, some of these votes helped to put The Monkey in a National office and The Ass in a State office.) I have had deep and honest conversations with them and let me tell you, their heads are hanging, their tails are tucked. Nothing like putting your life savings on the line at the track and seeing your horse leave the gate, shit on the track, and then lay down in it to lick himself. That's gotta suck.

Meanwhile, we Democrats have been sitting on the sidelines, holding signs and petitions, and saying, "See, you schmucks, we told you so. We've been telling you for years."

What can I say? We're more than bong toting, tree hugging, granola farming, patchouli wearing, Chai drinking, hummus making, organic hippies. We're smart. We're committed. We're educated. We're passionate.

We're being validated and maybe, just maybe, we're right.

I am all about people believing in whatever they want to believe. I am all about differences and diversity. I believe that we MUST have differing opposing parties - after all, it's friction that causes change. I like to be challenged, to have my view points questions. It strengthens my resolve. It reinforces my beliefs. I guess it's been a while since my political opposites have been in the same hot seat. I wonder, how will this change things?

I don't know. I don't have the answers. I have to say, however, that it's becoming abundantly clear to the entire nation that The Monkey and The Ass and all the other barnyard pests don't have the answers, either. In fact, they are only bringing up more questions and dropping a lot of crap in the fields. If an elephant shits in the woods, you can bet your ass it stinks - and it's stinking around the world.

So, come on over to my house. I'll give you some chamomile tea, play you my favorite Dead bootleg, and we can chat while the Nag Champa covers the smell of manure. If you're lucky, I'll show you my granola farm. I hear it's the crop of the future. Let's hope so.

No comments: