Friday, November 18, 2005

Koan, I (Still) Do, and stinking our way to health

I found the following on a blog this morning.  Normally I would just link to the post, but I am actually going to just cut and paste it all here because, well, I wrote about the blog owner recently and want to leave him / her  his / her privacy.
 

Koan's are little parables passed down for centuries from one monk to another to illuminate a small teaching...koans typically have a moral, or a twist, or perhaps they are so illogical that in their absence of rational thought they force someone to abandon logic.

This one is called black nosed Buddha---
A nun who was searching for enlightenment carved a wooden Buddha and covered it in gold leaf. It was very pretty and she carried it everywhere she went.
Years passed and still carrying her Buddha she settled down in a small country temple where there were many statues each with its own shrine.
She burned incense in front of her own statue, and not wanting to share any of the perfume with the other statues, she devised a funnel that would direct the smoke toward her own. This blackened the nose of her Buddha and made it especially ugly

 
 
I love this.   This can be summed up in modern day college bar speak.
 
"Hey, Girl, love those boots.  Just love them.  Where did you get them?"
 
"Ummm, well, I got them from a cobbler in Venice last summer.  Yeah, um, they're one of a kind."
 
Of course, all the while, the girl got them BOGO at Payless.  I spent many years of my life "buying my boots in Venice."  I wanted to keep all the best stuff for myself.  Know what?  It's a pretty lonely existence.  We have to share what we have, folks, or else Karma is going to rough up our Buddha.
 
 
______
 
I had a dream last night that I was getting married to B.  I won't get into the details (they're a little twisted and I want some more clarity before I share them,) but I woke up this morning feeling like I had just said "I DO" again.  I realized that I would absolutely say, "I DO" again.  And again. And again.  Pretty nice way to start the day.
 
______
 
It's cold and flu season here.  Everyone in town is running around with a dripping nose and a cough and general nastiness.  First, let me just say that, if your kids are sick, *don't bring them to the library, don't bring them to play with my kids, stay home, get well, and let the rest of us stay well!!!*  Okay, got that out of my system.  Of course, I cannot control what other parents do with their families, but I can do everything possible to protect my own.  It's no secret that we don't vaccinate our kids, we don't take medication very often, we don't get the flu shot.  I'm not getting into the political, health, and moral reasons for this - not the point.  The point is that we have alternative ways of staying healthy.  We eat for health.  During cold and flu season, we eat a lot, and I mean A LOT of garlic and onions.  Currently, Stealth is eating hummus so garlic-y Vampires in Europe are closing the windows.  We eat broccoli several times a week for it's antioxidant and health promoting properties.  We're doing pretty well.  We've avoided the flu and full blown colds.  Of course, there are some slight sniffles around our house, but with the way we probably smell, who's complaining??
 

No comments: