Monday, November 07, 2005

TCB so I can SOMA

AKA Taking Care of Business so I can Sit On My Ass.

Went grocery shopping this morning. Now, let me just say that grocery shopping in our house might be different than in other houses. We do the big grocery shopping trip once a month and then only go to the store for produce and perishables (and, of course, things we eat too quickly like ice cream and apples.) What this means is generally 2 hours in the store with 2 wiggly kids, at least one mid-shopping trip to the bathroom, 3 incidents of losing the list, 2 phone calls, the kids devouring almost an entire box of Pop Tarts before we even get to the check out (my only junk food purchase of the day,) and it all culminates in a bill of over $200 and an extra cart to haul the loot out. Managing 2 carts loaded with food and kids through a downhill parking lot is not always the easiest thing in the world to do. I'm strong and I manage, but oh my Moses, it's a work out (careful not to smash into that Mercedes, Sarah.)

When we finally make it home and back into driveway, jobs are handed out. It's always the same job for each kid and it's always the same rules. I park and unload the groceries. I set the bags in the entry way of our home and the boys drag the bags over the hardwood floors into the kitchen. Life is much easier now that they are old enough to help. So, after all this is done, they get a movie and some yogurt and I put everything away, where I want it to go, in peace.

We end about 3 hours after starting out. My kids are great through the whole thing, and as thanks, I let them live. :-)

In less than an hour, we will leave to drive to another town about 30 minutes from here where Stealth will visit the dentist. He has "a bug in his tooth" that needs to be taken care of. He's excited about it! Of course, he is - he's never had a cavity before and he has NO idea what he's in for. I, on the other hand, am all too aware. Anyone got some Scotch?

After the dentist, we'll visit MIL and PhIL, my in-laws. They want to take us to this extra special dairy place in town that has extra special ice cream. Stealth will be unable to eat or drink for an hour after his appointment. Shit. I will be spending that time with my in-laws doing what?? Again, Scotch is welcome.

When all that is done, however, we'll come home. There will be ample food to prepare for dinner - we just have to decide what. I'll cook it, B will do the dishes, and the kids will crash shortly there after. After the kids are in bed, B and I will enjoy a huge ass bowl of salad, probably stare at the glowing box in the living room, and I'll finally start doing what I've been dreaming of since my feet hit the floor this morning - sitting on my ass.

It's good to have goals.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whew! your post made me tired!
but i can sooo relate!
and you know what? Robert is really into scotch--we have a few bottles right here...need a flask?
xo