Thursday, August 24, 2006

It ain't true

what they say about Mothers-in-law.  They really aren't wretched and evil and conniving and manipulative.  They are not the enemy. 
 
Well, at least mine isn't.
 
While I do sometimes complain that my MIL is flighty, habitually late, forgetful, and compulsive, the fact of the matter is that those faults pale, possibly even disappear entirely, in comparison to her attributes.
 
Most notably, her desire to spend as much time as humanly possible with my children.
 
Some of my friends never get a free night.  They never have free time away from their children.  Asking for their folks (or inlaws) to watch their children is like asking them to pierce their nipples and drop some acid - it ain't gonna happen, or if it does, they'll be paying for it for the rest of their natural lives and probably well into their first few reincarnations as well.
 
My life isn't quite like that.  Nope.  My MIL calls me asking to keep the kids for awhile.  She and my FIL cannot go much more than a week without seeing the kids.  They go into "withdrawals."  Frequently, they ask if the kids can spend the night.  They have a bedroom set up for my boys and all the necessary kid crap.  I don't even have to pack a bag.  And, on top of that, 75% of the time they have them, they call and ask if they can have them stay for "just a couple of more hours."
 
Heh.  All that and she brought my man into the world, too.
 
So, folks, lets raise our glasses to our in-laws.  They aren't as bad as we'd like to make them seem. 
 
Of course, if they really are as bad as we make them seem, raise your glass a few more times.  I swear, nothing looks bad from the bottom of a bottle of Jim Beam.

No comments: