Monday, August 14, 2006

Busting at the seams with pride for Duck


Duck has always struggled with writing.  He will sit at the computer and type out a full page story, but when it comes to holding a pen or pencil and writing, forget it.  He was never interested in coloring and don't even think about flat out drawing a picture.

I've been really easy going about it, figuring that he'll learn how to write well enough by the time he needs to know how to sign a check or a contract.  Until then, what's the pressure?  But secretly inside I've been having to constantly tell myself it's no big deal.  He has great other fine motor skills - writing just isn't his thing.  This is where I really have to work on my tendency to be a control freak...

Anyway (sorry for the long lead up,) today I had him grab his journal and asked him to write a story while I was in the bath.  He sat in the bathroom with me and wrote a whole story AND illustrated it, too!  Now, of course, his story was only about 8 sentences long, but that is HUGE for him!  He used a good ol' #2 pencil and some colored pencils for the illustration.

I'm so proud of him!

 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hooray Duck!
:-) for you both.
xo,ss