Friday, August 18, 2006

Duck, aka The Monkey, Jr.


The last couple of weeks have been very hard at my house: Duck has discovered politics.
 
I have always been terrified that B and I were going to give birth to and be forced to live with at least one strict Republican -some sort of Karmic payback for us being so die hard liberals.  Family Ties comes to mind and I have spent the last few years in agony wondering if I would wake someday to another Alex P. Keaton.
 
Last week, Duck started asking about The Monkey in the White House non-stop.  He wanted to know all about George W.  Is he a good president?  What does he like?  Where is he from? What does he do?  Is he cool?
 
Then, to my horror, he started to PRETEND that he was The Monkey and actually asked me to call him, "George W. Bush."
 
I flat out refuse, telling him that I just cannot force my mouth to make those words in reference to him, someone I love so much.
 
This has been very difficult for me because, as our dear librarian friend said today, "We want our kids to think like us, but we want them to come about it on their own."  Crap on a cracker, how could I possibly be non-biased about W???
 
Eventually, I just told him the truth. I told him that some folks do like him, but that I honestly cannot understand why.  I told him that I'm sure W thinks he's doing the right thing, but sometimes people don't think very well.  And, I told him what I felt about him and why, but encouraged him to do his own "research" and decide for himself.
 
And this little 6 year old guy did just that.  He checked out books from the library.  Asked folks he knows for their opinion.  Watched the news. 
 
He still is pretending to be W. nearly every day, but he's doing it in a way that makes me smile.
 
"Hey, everyone, I'm sorry I stole your money.  Here, have it all back.  I'm sorry I lied to you.  I'm sorry I sent your family to war.  I'm sorry I caused folks to be killed.  I'm sorry that I've been a horrible president.  I'm gonna try to do better, but if not, just pick someone else in a couple of years.  Hey, how about a woman? I think my mom would be great!  Just try her PB&J sandwiches!"
 
Man.  I love that kid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so out of touch that you make left wing liberals nerves. Even Kerry supported the war. And don't get me started on funny man him self Al I ride the little yellow bus Gore. What truly is your motivation. Please let me know.

mamakohl said...

Aw, Chuck, you know, it's opposing opinions that make this country great. I don't expect anyone to believe what I believe - if you'll notice, I never once said that anyone had to believe as I do. Sorry that this got your panties in a wad.

And if I'm making folks nervous, awesome. It's often nerves that makes us all think - and those thoughts either a) cause us to change our minds or, b) reinforce our own beliefs. Either way, as long as folks are thinking, that's fine.

And honestly, don't you have something better to do than to question the motivation of someone you don't even know? I mean, hell, it's a personal blog, not the New York Times.