Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Brilliance of Albert Einstein

I'm a co-dependent. An Enabler. Addiction's ugly half sister. What's really amazing is that I actually have this under control in seemingly the most intense circumstance - my relationship with an alcoholic. The bold honest truth, however, is that it rears it's ugly, mangled, un-invited head in the relationship I have with a couple of other people in my life. I've been lied to, taken advantage of, expected to jump and hop at the mere mention of need. I have heard, "I need help" over and over and over, millions of times over, and indeed, I sacrifice myself and my time and my heart and my family and my emotions to help as best I can -and again and again, all I have been done has been dumped in the trash and the same behaviors have continued on and on. Until the next, "I need help" crisis comes along, that is.

This has torn my soul, eroded my trust and faith, left me feeling used and abused and taken advantage of. Exploited. Convenient


Albert Einstein said, "So long as they don't get violent, I want to let everyone say what they wish, for I myself have always said exactly what pleased me."

He also said, "If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor."

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

And

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them."

Can I get an AMEN?

If I had a dime for everytime someone told me that the reason they love me so much is because I just "tell it like it is, with no holds barred," I would be a very rich woman indeed. BUT, if I had a dime for every time someone said that about me after I had bitten my tongue so hard it bled, I would be the richest woman in the world.
All of you folks who say that you love me for that reason really mean this : You love me because I tell it like it is, with no holds barred, TO SOMEONE ELSE, ABOUT SOMEONE ELSE. Could you honestly handle it if I told you the naked harsh truth - about yourself? You know I can do it - can you take it?
We're going to see.
I am no longer going to bite my tongue. I'm not longer going to come running when you call - call someone else. If you're being a baby, I'm gonna tell you. If you're blaming someone else for something that you have fucked up, I'm going to tell you. You ask for my opinion, I'm going to tell you. You want to know why this is going on? I'll tell you.
Do what you've always done, get what you've always got. That applies to me as much as you and what the hell kind of person would I be if I couldn't live by my own advice?
Biting my tongue isn't doing you any good and let me tell you, wasabi on an open wound is no fun.
For the record, Einstein also said:
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten what one has learned in school. "
DAMN! A brain like that and awesome hair to boot! Einstein was HOT.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Guess you're kind of maybe totally speaking to me? I get it, I got it. My mind finally got my attention and MADE me make the choice and follow through with it. I have known for a year I needed help, I chose to ignore it. My Mind took action and took the choice out of my hand. I no longer have the option.

I am going tomorrow for my first therapy session. I have hope and feel hopeful about it all. Not even close to being out of the woods but have taken two steps to finding my way out. All of which is better than standing in the middle of the forest and yelling my blasted head off for help and no one could hear.