Wednesday, March 29, 2006

WOW


B and I spend time in our garage every night.  He smokes and it's the only smoking room in the house, so he hangs out there.  He also does most of his work there, so he spends a lot of time in the garage.  We talk about our day, watch the news (yeah, we even have a TV out there,) make plans, discuss the hard stuff, etc.  It's kind of our place, gross, dirty and smokey as it is, until our bedroom is finished, it's serving as our private place.
 
Last night he says to me, "So, I need you to tell me if you've figured out what I got you for your birthday."
 
Think, Sarah, Think.  Do I confess?  Do I lie?  What do I do?  Think!!
And, since I don't lie to my husband, period, I told him the truth.
 
"Yes, honey, I think I did figure it out, but I was so stunned - did you really get me The Buddha Within?
 
"Yep, Sarah, I did.  Since you know, I want to give it to you now so you can start picking out molding for the frame."
 
And then he pulled out a mail tube from Australia.  The return address was the artist's address.  The insurance sticker on the tube had her signature on it. 
 
He opened the tube and pulled out a rolled up piece of canvas.  On the back is a signature, the artist's signature, and date in pencil.  He unrolled the canvas and there, in front of me, is my piece of art, The Buddha Within.  It's so beautiful.  It's the second piece of real art we've ever owned, by far the largest and most valuable.  It's numbered 1/200.  It's breath taking and I'm humbled beyond words that he would search for and spend the money for this most important piece of art simply because it speaks to me.
 
It will hang on the wall at the foot of our bed.  I'll see it every time I wake up to greet the day.
 
Wow.  Just wow.
 
 

 

1 comment:

Becky said...

You know, I still hope, but no longer believe, that I will find someone to share my life with just like B. Someone who loves me, and gets me and is as wonderful and thoughtful and everything else B is to you, just for me.

I don't think he exists anywhere but in my hopes and dreams. It's so sad I can't live there with him. You truly are incredibly blessed.