Monday, February 06, 2006

Tasty Yoga


If you ask me, I'll tell you that I've been doing yoga for years.  This is true - I started doing yoga when I was 20 - but I haven't been very disciplined about it.  There have been spells when I went maybe a year without doing yoga.  Guess what my life was like during that time?  If you've ever done yoga, you can imagine.  Yesterday I told B that I benefit so much from daily yoga and feel like I total idiot for allowing myself to forget that and get out of practice.

I've recently committed to doing daily yoga as part of my devotion to myself.  I'm taking better care of myself now than ever before.  I'm eating better, I'm not avoiding.  I'm dealing and learning and studying and growing and healing.  I'm being honest. I'm journaling.   I'm trying.  And, I'm doing yoga every day.  Have been for awhile now and the benefits are unreal.  It's enough to make me get up at 5 in the morning so I can get a good session in (complete with meditation) before the boys wake up.
 
It doesn't always happen that way, though.  Usually, I get up and get into the yoga and the boys come running out.  At first, they used to crawl on me (leading to tremendous  back strain and pain,) but now they just sit on the couch and whisper to each other.  I hear a lot of "Wow, Mama's really great at yoga!" followed by soft little applause.  Stealth asks repeatedly from the couch, "Mama, are you gonna do the tree pose?  Are you gonna do the tree pose?  Are you gonna do the tree pose?  I can't do the tree pose, Mama.  Are you gonna do the tree pose?"  So, eventually, I just do the pose, regardless of if it fits into the routine.  Then comes, "Stealth, it's your pose!  It's your pose!  Its'  Stealth Pose**" which is followed by, "No, that's not my pose.  I don't do yoga, Duck."  Finally, Duck cannot stand it anymore and he gets on the floor and does yoga with me.  This kid loves yoga.  He has his own yoga cd's (including a really cool one that involves kids and parents together in poses) and has asked me to order him his own mat (hardwood floors make it dangerous to substitute a blanket for a real mat.)  If anyone is interested, Gaiam is having a great sale (DDFF, I'm thinking of you, baby.)

Regardless of if I do it by myself or if I have small cheerleaders and helpers, my daily yoga has replaced my coffee ( I KNOW!!!)   I feel opened up from the inside out.  I feel that peace and happiness and joy are absolutely attainable for me because, as the Dalai Lama points out again and again, happiness and ease is the natural state of humans.  Everything else we bring upon ourselves.  Life can be good.  Life is good.  Life is Tasty.  I can dig that.
 
Namaste
 
** It's not really called Stealth pose, I'm sure you can figure it out.
 

No comments: