Thursday, February 16, 2006

Easy Peasy Tibetan-esy

In the Hands of Destiny

A great Japanese warrior named Nobunaga decided to attack the enemy although he had only one-tenth the number of men the opposition commanded. He knew that he would win, but his soldiers were in doubt.
On the way he stopped at a Shinto shrine and told his men:
"After I visit the shrine I will toss a coin. If heads comes, we will win; if tails, we will lose. Destiny holds us in her hand."
Nobunaga entered the shrine and offered a silent prayer. He came forth and tossed a coin. Heads appeared. His soldiers were so eager to fight that they won their battle easily.
"No one can change the hand of destiny," his attendant told him after the battle.
"Indeed not," said Nobunaga, showing a coin which had been doubled, with heads facing either way.
 
I have spent a lot of time in my life complaining about the path I was on, what was going on around me, my own inner angst, my family, money, stress, emotional stress, etc.  We all do that, I think.  But I'm learning that it's not necessary. We all have the power to change our course, to have Destiny in our own hands. 
 
  • Have collectors calling you?  Answer the phone and be honest - something can always be worked out.
  • Sick of the clutter?  Throw some crap away.
  • Butt too big?  Put down the doughnut and exercise.
  • Life is spinning to fast?  Slow yourself down.
  • Feeling disconnected to your spouse?  Plug yourself in.
I know it sounds so simple, but life is simple, if we allow it to be.  Show up and do your best in every situation.  Whatever else happens is of little consequence.  It is not our business what other people think - it is only our business what we think.
 
The Dalai Lama says, "Peaceful living is about trusting those on whom we depend and caring for those who depend on us."  Simple words from a "simple Buddhist monk."
 
Take it easy today, folks. Easy Peasy Tibetan-esy.
 
Namaste.
 

1 comment:

Becky said...

It's ironic that as different as you and I are, and as diverse as our life paths are, that we both should come to the same 'need' at the same time, and are coming to some of the same answers but from different paths. For once, I'm in the same general area you are in life, in our search for answers, and I didn't get there by following you.