Wednesday, February 08, 2006

I Do


Tomorrow is my anniversary.  I'll have been married to B for 5 years.  So odd, I've said it before and said it again, it seems as though it's been our whole lives.  Maybe we were married in a former life - maybe we feel so connected because we have been for generations.  Regardless, on February 9th, 2001, we stood up with our 8 month old son, Duck, and vowed to love each other and each other only till death us do part.  Amazing, it was easier to commit myself until death to him than it was to commit myself to a mortgage for a short 30 years!
 
5 years ago tonight, B asked me to marry him.  Yep.  A whole whopping 18 hours before we got married.  We'd had the thing planned for months, but he hadn't asked me to marry him - I guess he just assumed it was a given.  My best girlie friend, JP, set him straight.
 
We were so broke then.  SOOOOOOOOO broke.  Like, overdrawn bank account and the bills are past due broke.  My engagement ring was a small brass band that probably cost him a total of $6.  I wore that band from the night of February 8th 2001 until it broke a few months ago.  Oh, I cried and cried and cried when that band broke - I still have it.  It means more to me than millions of dollars.
 
We're leaving tomorrow and will be gone for a few days.  I'm looking forward to time alone with my husband, time to talk and love and learn and listen and just be.  Just be lovers and friends.  Not so much parents and income bringers and creators.
 
I'll be back and posting Monday morning.  Have a great weekend, everyone.
 

2 comments:

Becky said...

I never knew B didn't ask until the night before. The girls' dad didn't either. It was just a given. When Wendall said he would stand up and ask us a few pertenent questions I spoke up and said there's one that hasn't even been asked yet.

Just before Chris went to parent's house for the night he asked me 'So, you gonna marry me tomorrow?" Yep, I said. I'll be the one walking down the isle in a red sequined dress and a hot pink feather boa. You can't miss me.

Funny how different we are and yet how much alike.

Anonymous said...

happiest of anniversaries!
what a sweet sentiment.
enjoy your time.
xo