Wednesday, June 15, 2005

There are no words

I know of a couple, married for over 30 years, who are separating. I'm fairly close to both of them, so I'm emotionally effected and torn, but I'm not so close to them that I cannot keep some sort of distance and clarity. It's fairly clear to me that they have both done some things that have screwed it up - and probably have been doing those same things for all the 30+ years that they've been together. After all, if you do what you've always done, you're going to get what you've always gotten.

I think they both must trust me because they have both admitted some somewhat personal things to me. I feel honored that they trust me with their truths. How do I support them both? How do I stay true to myself and answer honestly when they ask for my opinion and still not seem to be taking one side over another? Truth be told, I have a few strong opinions for both of them.

BUT

1) the reality is that it's NONE of my business. Period.
2) these people have been married longer than I've been breathing air, so what do I know?

There aren't words for this. The only thing I can think of is, "Let's pour ourselves a tall one, and chop a line from here to Texas."* Well, they don't drink and I've never chopped a line, so that doesn't really work, you know?

At the end of the day, what do I say? What can anyone say?

*Mr. Ritchie, rock on.

No comments: