Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Big Post of Everything and Nothing

Okay, got lots of nothng to post, so it's all going in one big Post Salad. Choose your dressing of choice (I'm partial to Annie's Goddess Dressing,) and dig in.

So, DDFF has issued her own little music challenge. Tis a one time thing, I'm assuming, but I'm game and am jumping in. Okay, check it, here's the deal. Open up iTunes (or, Windows Media Player or Real Player or, you know, your music stash) and put it on Random and list the to 10 songs that come up. Yep, this could be interesting. GAME ON -


1. Maria Maria - Santana
I don't listen to this album as often as I should. It's brilliant. Simply Brilliant. Carlos Santana is freaking musical genius. This song just makes me swivel my hips and wish like heck that B was home and the boys were gone and the candles were blazing and he was in the mood for some dancing. Slow, sexy, with a sultry hip hop / latin beat. Great song.

2. Blue Hawaii - Frank Sinatra
Okay, I love Frank Sinatra. Always have, always will. But I gotta say, I loathe this version of the song. Just don't dig it at all, that's why my playcount of this song, up until this very minute, has read a big fat zero. Dude, you just don't mess with The King. Blue Hawaii is his.

3. Wonder Milky Bitch - Air
This song is amazing. In fact, the whole album is great. It's listed as Electronica, but it's just kind of bizarre. Kind of like if you mixed Rocky Horror with Mark Lanegan with Enigma. This is a sit on the couch and melt into it until you turn into a pile of pudding. Uh, well, you just have to hear it.

4. My Little Town - Simon and Garfunkel
Not my favorite Simon and Garfunkel song, by any means, but it's like pizza - even if it isn't your favorite, it's great cause it's still pizza. Well, this is still Simon and Garfunkel. But I have to say, this song is growing on me.

5. Good Night - The Beatles
From the White Album, this song is so beautiful. The orchestra is gorgeous, the lyrics are simple and beautiful, and the whispered ,"Good Night" at the very end sends chills up and down my spine and has been doing so for 16 years. Seriously, you all, if you don't know this song, you MUST hear it. If you weren't a fan of The Beatles, you'd be hard pressed to peg them as the artists. I've sung this song to the boys more than once at bedtime, but it's nothing without the strings.

6. Fall - Miles Davis
If you like Jazz, you know Miles Davis. If you don't know Miles Davis, there's nothing I can write here that will do it any justice. As DDFF's man says, "Shhhhhhhhhh!! It's Jazz!" This song is pretty tame for Miles, so it's a good intro. Please, for the love of sushi, yarn, yoga pants, and all that is holy, try some Jazz before you die. Don't just say you don't like it - try it. Fall is a good place to start.

7. Coconut - Harry Nilsson
This is Duck and Stealth's favorite song. They love this song and request it several times a week. It's a great little ditty - I know you've heard it. It's on the Reservoir Dogs soundtrack and was recently used for a Coke with Lime commercial "Put the lime in the coconut, drink em both up, put the lime in the coconut, you drink them both together." Great song. Hell, it may be one of my favorites, too.

8. Alabama Blues - St. Germain
This is a very Chill Out song, kind of loungy, totally electronica. Zone out, work out, meditate.

9. Like a Soldier - Johnny Cash
There is no one who can sing this song like Johnny and I hope like hell no one ever tries. Story of a man looking back on the horrors of his past and realizing that he can overcome it all, in fact, that he's in the process of it all, and that there is life after hell.

10. Send a Picture of Mother - Johnny Cash
From Folsom Prison, this song is a heart breaker. Story of a prisoner who's not getting out who's talking to someone who is getting out. Go find my folks, shake my dad's hand, send me a picture of my Mom. Damn. Johnny can tear your heart to shreds.


Okay, well, that's my top ten that came up randomly. Freaking bizarre the selection. Of course, I currently have 5,378 songs in my iTunes Library, so randomly picking 10 will give you a, well, limited view. I might have to list the top 25 or 50 someday, but without the commentary.

But that was fun! C'mon, you know you want to play, too. Show me your Top 10!


Speaking of iTunes and music and challenges, JM Bill and I have finally rekindled the spark of the almighty MP3 Challenge. Thank Elvis, I was having some sort of meltdown without it. Bring it, woman. Monday is your day.

Last night was supposed to be yoga and sushi and I was supposed to pick out a skirt made by a brilliant designer that I bartered for. Didn't happen. Know what I got instead? Ice. I got Ice. Ice on the roads, ice on the cars, ice on the trucks, ice on the trees, ice on everything. And more is coming. I'm not happy about this. But, DDFF, I've been thinking of this and staring at myself hard in the mirror - I'm willing to consider the Booty Cap. Just have to try it on and make sure I don't look like a total freak. Next Friday, eh?

Breaking in here to say that I kept doing the random song deal on iTunes. Can you believe that it took me 28 songs to get a Kid Rock song? 28 songs!! Man, I have 132 Kid Rock songs in my library. Of course, after getting to him, iTunes played 5 in a row. Shuffle, baby, shuffle on.


Pineapple Mango Salsa is the greatest thing to have met a burrito. Yep. Pretty sure of it.

My anniversary is coming up in about 3 weeks. 6 years married. This is very strange for me because B and I lived together for nearly 2 years and had a child together before we got married, so our anniversary count seems to be a little off. Last year we took a great little trip just an hour and a half south. LOVELY. Not sure what we're going to do this year. More than likely we're going to visit KC for the day and hit the art museum and such. Or St. Louis. Or, hell, he might surprise me and take me to, oh, I don't know, Memphis? We shall see.

Got myself some new boots this week. Yes indeedy. Black suede, healed, just below the knee. I love them. Oh I love them. Of course, I love boots. Photos to be sent to Botswana shortly. Bill, I wanna see some monkeys.

I'm reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Very deep book involving 4 of my favorite subjects - Men, motorcycles, nature, and Zen. I've had this book since I was 18 years old. The pages are yellowed and the price on the spine says, " U.S. $5.99" Heh. It would be easy to plow through this book in a weekend, easy to read it and let the words flow over me, but I don't want them to flow over, I want them to sink in. Sink in deep and take root. B and I plan to cover the country on his and hers Harley's after the boys have left the house. It's our "retirement plan." Ahhhhhhhhhh, just hold on tight and lean into the curves. Nirvana cannot be that far off.

I have some single friends who are just struggling. Men and women alike, these folks are just wandering around, cluelessly, like a guy sent to make the decision between Playtex and Tampax. There must be some sort of undeniable urge, some sort of pull, that makes folks want a partner so badly they get desperate and start doing desperate things. I don't know what that's like, being in my 30s or older and still hunting. I'm so glad that I have my partner, thank the Karma that brought us together. It must be so hard to be searching. To any or all of you in this boat (and there are several) who are reading this, keep your chin up. I'm pretty sure that your pride and dignity slide right out of it when you lower your heads. And guys, if you need a reminder, check out my musings on What Women Want.

It's nearly 10 am. I'm looking out the window and it's all white ice. Great. I'm clearly not going anywhere today and neither are the boys. I'm thinking it's a day for movies and knitting and just vegging out. Man, I better get started - that's a full plate.








3 comments:

Dee2 said...

Hello - music challenge for the Pod?
I. want. in.

Oh Wayward One said...

Zen & T.A.O.M.M. is definitely in my list of top 5 favorite books of all time you know that dont you. I need to read it once a year at least just to keep my head on straight. But at least it helps.

SJS said...

random 10 from my pod:

1. Blue Light---Mazzy Star
Hope's voice is just lovely...dreamy music...one of my fav songs from So Tonight album. Reminds me of times that I stayed up way too late with friends and the party is starting to die down...

2. Space---The Beta Band
sweet as music!
Check em out…better songs but they are all good.

3. Everything Counts---Depeche Mode
ahhh! DM! & this is the live version. Takes me back, waaaaay back….and 1 of my all time fav songs of theirs.

4. Symbolism---Delerium
any Delerium is amazing Delerium! This song is more hypnotic than others.

5. She Is Mine---The Psychadelic Furs
I always picture Duckie & Molly Ringwold when hear the Furs.

6. Let's Go Crazy---Prince
can never go wrong with Prince! My 1st cassette purchase.

7. Stay In Touch---Joni Mitchell
beautiful Joni…

8. I Don't Remember---Peter Gabriel
yeah!! Genius.

9. Red Light---Siouxsie & the Banshees
sexy music.

10. Old Man---Neil Young
Always dedicate this one to my friend Diana. Lyrics that make me weep.