Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Gobsmacked


That's just the word for it - gobsmacked.  I cannot believe it -I cannot believe it.  I'm stunned.
 
If you've had cable TV or been up late at night at all during the last 15 years, you've all seen the infomercials.  You've all heard about the "Swirl, Tap, Buff."  You know Leslie and her obsession with brushes and mineral veil.  Say it with me - Bare Escentuals Bare Minerals SPF 15 Mineral Foundation!
 
For years I have seen this stuff advertised on TV and I've been curious.  Can it really go on that smoothly?  Does it really look that good?  Is it really that idiot proof?  Does it feel that good on your skin?  Is it *really* all natural?  So, for years, I have wondered these and thought, "Good lord, who in the world would spend that much money on makeup and why?"
 
And then I found out that a very dear friend of mine has been using it for over a year.  A friend, by the way, who loathes makeup and never wore it except for Prom and random costume parties.  Not only has she been using it for a year, she wears it every single day.  And she loves it.  Just loves it.
 
Hmmm.  Food for thought.
 
So, a few months ago, I discovered that Loreal' started making "mineral foundation" and I gave it a try.  Sure, it was better than any liquid foundation or anything, but still, it wasn't quite right.  The color wasn't right, it didn't blend, it made my skin do strange things, it just wasn't ideal --- but it was $13 to start out vs. $75, so what the hell, good enough.
 
But it wasn't good enough and eventually, after years and years of wondering, I decided to splurge and treat myself to the real deal.  It arrived by UPS last night and this morning I tried it out.
 
OH.  MY.  MARGARITA!!!
 
It took me maybe 3 minutes, tops, to put it on my very first try and I nearly broke out in tears when it was all done.  I can not believe how wonderful this stuff is.  Seriously.  Honestly.  Like tofu salad, sushi, good yarn, great sex, fabulous shoes, and a Mint Julep all tied up into one lovely package.  Like "throw away the whole rest of my makeup collection and never go to the beauty counter again" good. It's amazing - and I have never felt more beautiful.  I love it.  Everything they say on the infomericals is true.  The coverage, the lightness, the warmth, the feel, everything!!!   It's astonishing.  And it's sooooooooooooo worth the money.
 
Gobsmacked.  Gobsmacked, I tell you.
 
I'm off to go look at myself some more....

No comments: