Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Back your shizit up

So, I installed the printer that B got me yesterday. My computer required a restart for it to work. The computer wouldn't load Windows. Had to push the power button and tried again and luckily it worked. Today, it automatically updated for the printer and also needed a restart. Again it wouldn't start.
And again it wouldn't start.
4 times and I couldn't get it started.
So I called the tech support where I have my warranty / tech plan** and talked to some guy and we tried to start it in safe mode. No go. We tried to reboot. Nothing. It was not working and he told me I was going to have to do another system recovery and lose everything. FUCK ME - didn't I just do this a few months ago?
I started screaming and crying and just out of frustration I nearly threw the phone. Eventually, we unplugged the printer and discovered that there was something wrong with the USB cable. Switched the cable, restarted in Safe Mode, fixed the problems, and now everything is working just fine but ...
I almost lost 6,000 songs and twice as many photos. Again.
Needless to say, I am currently backing everything up. EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING is going on DVD's right this very second.
For those of you who got new computer goodies, for those of you who like me thought, "eh, I'll back up tomorrow," and for those of you who just need the reminder - BACK UP NOW!!!

And check your freaking cables - good lord, all this bullshit went down because of a faulty USB cable.
Whew. That was too close.

** Tech support stuff -
I cannot say enough about Staples Tech support and protection. Seriously. I think I spent $139 for a 2 year support program when I bought the computer. Since then, I have called them numerous times for help. I always get a live person. I have never had to wait on hold for more than 3 minutes. EVER. The folks are in North Carolina as opposed to India. They answer the phones 24/7. They replaced my hard drive for free, even sent someone to my house TWICE to do it. They are always friendly, are never ever in a rush and will take as long as you need. They are clear and easy to understand and are very, very helpful. If you ever buy anything from Staples and think at some point you might want some tech support, I say DO IT. Sincerely, they have saved my ass so many times and are happy to do it. When my contract runs out in May, you can bet I'm renewing it.

No comments: