Friday, September 01, 2006

Check it out -


My kids do a lot of learning from cd-roms. They have their own computer and we have a lot of educational software. They love it, I feel good about what they're learning. Good stuff.

This past week we got two new programs -

DK's The Ultimate Human Body - I cannot tell if this is the coolest thing I've ever seen or a raging piece of crap. I'm leaning towards the coolest thing I've ever seen with some disappointing features. I cannot even get into what all it does - seriously, you can look at every system of your body, every organ, everything in 3D rotational imagery. There's videos that help teach anatomy and physiology. It's *outstanding!* The problem? Not all of the features work. There's one system scan -the X-Ray - that just won't work at all on my kid's computer. I've read reviews and have discovered that this is common - some discs work great, some don't work at all. It's hit or miss. I cannot promise that yours will work if you get one. As for us, I've decided that the educational aspect of even 2/3 of the program working outweighs the disappointment of the 1/3 that doesn't work. If you're gonna get it, a few things to note - it does NOT work on XP or Mac. It's designed to run on Win95 /98, but will work on ME, too.


We also got School House Rock! Grammar Rock. I swear, the boys LOVE this game and so do I. Everything that you remember from School House Rock is on this game (Busy Prepositions, Conjunction Junction, etc.) It's fun, easy to figure out, educational. It's cool to hang out with School House Rocky and Mr. Morton. And this game has no bizarro quirks - it all works well!

No comments: