Monday, June 04, 2007

Smashed Tomatos

I have no idea where to exactly start posting, but let me just say right now that FINALLY Blogger saves drafts, so I'm not feeling too pressured. Let's just see if it works, eh?

So a baby girl was born on Sunday, May 27th, at 6:51 pm after close to 40 hrs of labor. This was a very long, very hard, very challenging birth for me and for my clients and, well, for everyone involved. It was one of those births that makes you rethink everything, a birth that shifts your focus, your perspective. Everyone is fine, no doubt about that, but no one is the same. Welcome to the world, Baby S. You've made it clear that you are gonna do things your own way - do them well!

Portable DVD players are the most fabulous things in the history of mankind. I swear to Elvis, if you have children who sometimes travel and who also have eyeballs, go right now and get yourself one. Technology is so advanced these days you can buy one for less than $100. And they pay for themselves within the first hour of use on a road trip. Need more proof? Just check out this testimonial:

"When you are the mother of 2 very active small children, driving through Kansas is enough to make you wanna visit with your good pal, Jim Beam, at 9 in the morning. However, with the aid of my new best friend, Ms. Portable DVD Player with Dual Headphones and Skip Protection, the world is my oyster! Of course, Jim Beam does work well when you have to deal with oysters and is damned near a necessity for dealing with Kansas, but you know, whatever. Just go get yourself one of these things and maybe you won't need those little blue and white pills after all."





I don't know who that woman is - she sure sounds smart!





In other news:





My grandfather's funeral was lovely, simply lovely. I'm thrilled that I went and I'm beyond elated that my family went with me. I would go into detail, but really, there is no need. It wouldn't matter to anyone who didn't know him and everyone who knew him was there - with the exception of my sister, and I've already filled her in on the details. Just for my own memoir reasons, remember the following notes: Vicki, Pam. Ice cream at funerals. Smart for dying with his watch on. Sugar packet. What's a Bible? Duck kissing Isabella. B crying = best used Y chromosome ever. Check photo of Stealth covered in sugar from powdered doughnuts, photo of my Dad, his wife, my brother and his wife, and me and my brood after the funeral (the source for the previous post about hair issues soon to be resolved ... somehow.)





Duck's birthday. Man, I feel bad for that kid this year. Kind of like my brother must have felt his entire childhood living at home - his birthday is December 28th and we were almost always on the road on his birthday. We got home from the funeral around 12:45 am on Duck's birthday (Sunday,) and Maude, we were tired. But we all did well. He, blessedly, decided he wanted store bought cupcakes instead of a home made cake, so we went and grabbed them up. He played his favorite Playstation game with Stealth and B while I made him this birthday card -yes, that's Duck as Spyro, his favorite game! I win Mom of the year award moments later at gift opening ceremony, where Duck is also blessed with Link-n-Logs (Lincoln logs,) a zillion and twelve Hot Wheels, some comic books, some mad libs, cash, train, etc. Followed by the clan traversing to Going Bonkers where, indeed, they did go Bonkers while Matriarch of said clan shoves endless amounts of caffeine and sugar into her mouth in order to stay awake long enough to put children to bed. After leaving the source of the Bonkers, we go to Toys R Us where more Hot Wheel madness ensues. Large expenditures of cash follows. Kids come home and play like crazy people and eventually pass out cold. Much garage celebration comences by the adults. Adults climb into bed hours later, thankful to have survived another year and hopeful that they can survive parenting a 7 year old.



B has taken this week off. To paint the house. Yes, it's true that I no longer have:

a bathroom sink

a shower

a bathtub

a bathroom FLOOR



But he took a week off to paint the house.

Ha.

Viva la Bourbon





My sister is in a new place in life, both figuratively and literally. May your journey be all that it's meant to be. May the truth come from all angles. May the roof and walls close in. You see, the way only exists in your center.



DDFF, I dreamed of sushi last night. What night you wanna indulge?

1 comment:

Dee2 said...

Can we do Thursday lunch sushi?
I maybe can do Friday as well - but that is less likely.