Thursday, July 06, 2006

Fine Print

I met with the columnist for the St. Louis Post Dispatch yesterday.  I was sort of nervous because I had no idea who this woman was, what should would be like, if I had any answers to any of the questions she was going to ask.  I mean, after all, I just kind of pull stuff out of my ass - I don't follow patterns, I just make things up as I go along.  The fact that people think that what I do is art still escapes me, regardless of how many people tell me such.
 
So at one o'clock, we sat down in some comfy leather couches and started looking at some of my designs and things I had made and also some Ozark Handspun.  Within seconds, I was totally comfortable with her.  She's lively, she's opinionated, she's funny and intelligent and has a wonderful sense of humor.
 
I looked up at the clock. It was 3 in the afternoon and she'd not written anything down yet!  Oh yeah, this is an interview for a newspaper!  Maybe we should take some notes!

We'd been laughing and hooting and talking like hens in a nest, cluck cluck cluck.  Like girlfriends over a margarita, we had leaned back on the couches, pulled our knees up (you know how we do, ladies,) and just had a grand old time!  WHAT FUN to make such a sincere connection to someone with whom my path most likely would have never crossed!
 
Out comes the note pad and 30 minutes of fast and furious note taking later, we ventured outside for some photographs and, of course, more laughter.  We parted ways with a big hug and her assurance that she would swat my dear friend JFL on the ass upon her return to the Dispatch (gotta love that!)
 
I think that the column will be fantastic.  I guess we'll find out soon - it will be published on Tuesday.
 
Oh yeah, and as an unexpected bonus - she bought $175 of my stuff!
 
That's some fine journalism.  Cannot wait to see the fine print!

 

No comments: