Friday, August 05, 2005

Traveling Jill

I've known Jill for 16 years (Good Dear Elvis, is that freaking possible????) I owe my love of Eric Clapton, Tom Petty, and Mick Jagger to Jill. I can tell you more about eugleanas (eugleanae?) than anyone should know and I know what happens to turkey feet when they're left in a high school locker too long - all because of Jill. Anyway, Jill is a product of Mid-MO, regardless of how hard she tries to forget it.
Jill has gone to school up north in the Big Sky Country, down south in South Africa, has lived in Australia, currently lives in Ireland, is married to a Dutch dude, will be running a business in Botswana SOON, and pretty much wanders around foreign countries and continents just because she can. Right on, Eh?
What's even better is that she LOVES my kids. She's never met them in person - but has had IM conversations with Duck, has pictures of them up on her computer (I think,) and is always interested in them.
So when Jill travels, she sends postcards to my kids. From EVERYWHERE. Our favorite had been the one from Greece until today. Today we got one from Stockholm, Sweden. SUPER cool stuff. She doesn't write the boring, "Doing great, wish you were here" bullshit. Nope. She writes about food and spas and sunrises and animals and just all kinds of amazing things.
I love Jill and am glad that she still participates in a friendship that is older than my driving privileges. She's helping me teach my kids, one postcard at a time.
Thanks, Jill.
Next time, send Chocolate.
good ol' Jill Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Oh Wayward One said...

Sarah. Link. Go.

http://www.fcps.k12.va.us/StratfordLandingES/Ecology/mpages/euglena.htm


(a must-see, doubling as a potential short homeschool lesson ... ok, maybe in a few years or so. heheh) I have 2 words for you: Para. mecium.