Thursday, November 16, 2006

There's a light ...

I've been singing a song from Rocky Horror Picture Show since I opened my eyes this morning.

In the velvet darkness of the blackest night
Burning bright, there's a guiding star
No matter what or who you are.

There's a light over at the Frankenstein Place
There's a light burning in the fireplace
There's a light, light in the darkness of everybody's life.

I can see the flag fly, I can see the rain
Just the same, there has got to be
Something better here for you and me.

There's a light over at the Frankenstein Place
There's a light burning in the fireplace
There's a light, light in the darkness of everybody's life.

The darkness must go down the river of nights dreaming
Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming
Into my life, into my life.

There's a light over at the Frankenstein Place
There's a light burning in the fireplace
There's a light, light in the darkness of everybody's life.



Bizarre song to wake up with in your head, especially if it's sung in Susan Sarandon's voice, but I got to thinking that there has to be a reason. Indeed, as the day has played out, I've started to see that yeah, man, there is a light.

My client, who was due 2 weeks ago, is finally showing some signs of labor after all sorts of natural methods to bring it on. She's napping now and I hope like heck she gives me a call in the next 5 hours or so. She's already well on her way -her previous measures have made her cervix nice and friendly for birth and baby's head is sitting right on it, so that also lessens the chances that this will be a marathon. Man, that's a pretty light! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Today I've also started to breathe again for the first time in several weeks. Sometimes life gets a little crazy and we lose sight of what we need to do to care for ourselves. I have been neglecting my self care for a few weeks now and it was getting out of hand. Well, to be honest, I thought I was taking care of myself, but in honesty I was not. I had slowly started to let caffeine back into my system as well as more than a little bourbon and white sugars and processed food. BAD BAD BAD. But this morning, I woke up and it was clear as can be - all I have to do is take care of myself. . And, as a reward for getting on top of things early and getting back on track, I treated myself to some yummy tofu salad and detox tea for lunch. Ahhhhhhhhh, that light is so freaking bright! I love it!

Stealth finally has reached the age where he can click himself in and out of his booster seat. He's 4.5 years old, but his car booster seat is tall and he is short, so it was rough for him to reach the seat belt completely over himself and make it click, so I've had to click him in and click him out. Today he mastered it. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have reached the stage where all I have to say is, "Get in the car" and I'm done. Sweet Sassy Molassy, that's a nice shiny light there! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I finally found an amazing coat that I love. Well, make that a second amazing coat that I love - I already had a black one, but needed a brown one. It's long and brown and fuzzy and very 1976 and it looks like suede and shearling, but it's all fake (oh, sorry, I mean faux) and get this - ... wait for it ... it's MACHINE WASHABLE!! Sounds horrid, I know, but believe me, they can do amazing things with fibers these days and I am a total asshole about fibers, so if it's good enough for me, it's freaking amazing, folks. Wow, that light's so bright, I gotta wear shades! Everybody now ... Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

B & I are doing so amazingly well. Of course we have our little freak out moments, but who doesn't? It's such a wonderful thing to never doubt his feelings for me nor doubt my own feelings for him. I never question my ability to trust him and he knows he can trust me. There's openness and honesty and hysterical laughter and it has been going on consistently for many years now. This will be our 8th Christmas together and I still haven't figured out how that is possible. I still want him under my tree as much as I did that first year. What a beautiful, glowing, warming light. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I've come to see that drinking a cup of tea and reading a book while curled up under a nice chenille blanket IS doing something productive. Ahhhhhhhhhh

I read chapter books aloud to the kids during lunch every day. I remember my Dad reading to us as a family in the evenings after dinner and have taken that tradition into my home. For the first time, I'm reading a book to them that I haven't read previously and I have to say, it's a wonderful gift to us all to discover the magic of Quidditch and Hogwarts together. And my kids will sit there and eat their lunch and listen to every word. That's some wicked light right there, I tell you. Ahhhhhhhhhh

My girl, DDFF, and I have plans to get together soon and talk some MP3 trash. I'm teaching her the ins and outs of downloading music and iPod adoration and she's gonna hook me up with some yummy tea or coffee and muffins in exchange. It's a sad and pitiful state of affairs that we have let ourselves go so long without seeing each other. We used to get together at least once a week and now we can go a month. It's atrocious - but the end is near. I have found 2 perfect holiday gifts for her - now I just have to pick which to give her and which to keep for myself! I know you're reading this - I miss you, Mama. You shine bright as the sun. Ahhhhhhhhhh

JM Bill put in her notice at work! Wahooo! No more top secret African plans. Watch out, Botswana, my girl's gonna rock your world --- again! Check out that smokin' Shiz-light and the Sunshine Shinin'! Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Boyeeeeeeeee!

Duck is growing up into a very cool cool cat. He drives me nuts, but he's his own little man and I've never wanted anything else for my kids. He's gonna shine on the whole world. Ahhhhhhhh

And let us not forget that the whole country is a BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL right now! 12 years of insanity is over. Shine, Dems, shine! Ahhhhhhhhh

It seems only appropriate that I end this with some more lyrics (I know, lyrics on a blog is totally passe and just nearly unforgivable - I'm sure I'll pay for it eventually.)

As Mr. Ritchie once said:

On that rock-n-roll pain train
I had to slow things down
I live out in the woods now
It helps me keep my feet on
The ground
Life's been good to me so far
Hope its been kind to you
Stand strong in the storms of life
The sun will always shine on you








No comments: