Thursday, September 01, 2005

Jessica survives Katrina!

Mud Mask Fun! 1997 Posted by Picasa



Many of you know my friend, Jessica Cutter, or know about her, anyway. Jessica and I have been friends for 10 years or so. She's been living in New Orleans for a few years now and, last fall, took over the position of head pastry chef at Emeril's in the Big Easy. Since the storm hit on Monday, I've been unable to get a good nights sleep due to my concern for her.

I spoke with Jessica's mother early this morning and, Thank Elvis, Jessica and 2 of her co-workers made it back to Missouri last night! THEY ARE SAFE!!! This morning, Jessica is driving her friends to KC in hopes that they will be able to find a flight back to their families, and then she will return to her parents home here in Columbia.

Jessica has lost her apartment. She's not sure what, if any, of the structure is still standing. She has lost ALL of her belongings. She has the clothes on her back and one extra set of clothes -- that's it. That's all they were able to gather up before they were forced to leave. New Orleans won't have power for 2 or 3 months and who knows how long it will take after that to rebuild.

I'll be speaking with Jessica sometime today and figuring out exactly what she needs, what other's need, what can be done. Some of her family friends may host a shower of sorts for Jessica in order to give her some of life's basic necessities.

I'm so eternally grateful that my friend is alive and safe. There are so many thousands of others out there, however, who are not as lucky. They have no money, no home, no where to go. Please, support them if you can. Visit the Red Cross website to learn how. Donate money. Donate clothes. Donate food. Donate toothbrushes. Donate whatever you can, even if all you can donate is your thoughts and prayers.

I'll keep you all updated as I learn more from Jessica! Thanks, everyone.

No comments: